What will your dentist do at your first dental appointment?
At a first dental appointment, the dental hygienist will:
- Assess the overall oral health and oral hygiene of the patient
- Assess the risk of tooth decay, root decay, and gum or bone disease
- Assess the need for tooth restoration or replacement
- Scan the patient’s jaw for any issues
- Evaluate the patient’s bite functionality
- Remove minor stains or deposits on the patient’s teeth
- Evaluate the patient’s need for fluoride
- In some circumstances, take a dental X-ray
The circumstances of a first dental appointment vary depending on the patient’s age and overall mouth health. If you are an adult and have never had a dental appointment, we recommend scheduling a dental appointment as soon as possible to avoid problems and to prevent costly dental issues in the future.